AMA Trans Man Edition! 30 min. Zoom
One of my most favorite things I get to do with my life experience as knowledge, is to help others grow and understand their own selves and their friends and family more. Having grown up identifying as a cisgender woman, and coming to my understanding of my gender identity later in life, I may have some insights on the "not so typical" trans story. Having said that, no one single trans persons story is "typical" in that we might have some shared life experiences, but our internal workings are as different as they are for everyone else. With this life experience, I hope to be able to help someone else understand and grow, no matter what that looks like! I might just plant a seed that I never see blossom, but that's what makes this worth it.
There are a few guidelines I like to set out for these conversations. I am willing to answer 9.5/10 questions, and I have been on the internet long enough that it is Very Hard to offend me. Usually that comes when boundaries are disrespected or disregarded. That being said, there is an attitude and an openness that I expect in these conversations. So, here are some ground rules for my sessions.
1) As long as the question is asked out of curiosity and a manner of desiring education, I will do my best to provide an answer based on my personal experiences.
2) Ask the questions with the words you know already (a. we don't have time to stumble through every question you have, b. then I know where to meet you as far as language and glossary building goes).
3) If you don't know a word I say, stop me and ask me to clarify!
4) If I am not going to answer a question, I will tell you why and how to avoid awkward situations with less patient people in the future.
5) If I use language that needs to be adjusted (i.e. words that are no longer used or have been updated recently by various groups) please tell me! and likewise, I will help you learn the sensitive nature of language around trans identities and people.
If this sounds interesting to you, you need to know more about the community, have someone close to you that is transitioning and want to learn how to support them, or even are a fellow Trans(TM) and just wanna chat, shoot me a message and let's set something up!
Training & Qualifications
I grew up identifying as a straight cis woman, then a bisexual, then a lesbian, then a straight trans dude (ha that didn't last long), to now a queer (for lack of a better word) trans man. I have spent the last 9 years transitioning socially, 7.5 years on testosterone treatments, and have pursued various medical transition steps in that time as well. I have also spent a fair amount of time in seminary and can address some of the religious or spiritual aspects of transition and the trans community as well.
Availability & Preferences
Afternoons and weekends